PowerPC For Dummies: Guides And Examples Page
Code:
r2 is the rtoc. Like r1 and r13, it is not for general use. Has specific usages.

Sorry man, but I just feel that using the first few registers makes for an easier example, If it bothers you that much, I'll add a big warning on the page that's impossible to miss saying not to use any of the registers in the examples. 

For me, It actually takes a bit longer if an example is laid out like "r14, r2, r8" for me to understand it, It's just all over the place. I just feel that using the first 3 is a better way to go about it, It's hard for me to explain, but I'm sure a least 1 other person feels the same way. I just think it would just make for easier learning. I can't explain it in detail but you probably get what I'm trying to say.

Code:
Sometimes over simplification is bad for ASM as ASM is a lower level language thus naturally the user needs to learn some of the finer details.

Please don't take any type of offense to this. But a lot of the time some of the tutorials posted have very v.a.g.u.e and technical wording, I know it makes perfect sense to you, but I barely even know what any of it means. Stack frames seem like one of those things that have to be explained using very specific details, but I'm learning how they work first.

Your simplified instructions tutorial on this site was really useful, and I used some of the information on it for my guide, but there are things like ''Instruction X OR's/AND's Register A's value" until recently (from your guides), I didn't know what "ORing or ANDing" was, All of the PowerPC guides pretty much just assume that you know exactly how it works. But most people don't. There are a lot of things like this.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, I can't really learn anything complicated unless it's explained in full detail to me, or if I'm able to test things with it, If it weren't for me being able to test instructions in dolphin, I most likely would have never been able to figure how and/or/xor worked. It's not your fault for wording the guide the way you did, it's my fault for my brain working the way it does causing me to be a very slow learner. but I know that at least one other person has the same issue, which is mostly why I made the guide.

Code:
ORs, ANDs, and XORs can used as tools for a variety of objectives and thus should be taught with the finer details involved.

What are the other uses it has though? Are you talking about the extended mnemonics like ori, andi, etc.?

Messages In This Thread
RE: PowerPC For Dummies: Guides And Examples Page - by JimmyKazakhstan - 06-30-2021, 07:15 PM