Make it to 10,000
Neiß
So you're a Debian user, you must really enjoy stability
My username is in Scottish Gaelic. If you speak that language, please tell me how to pronounce it properly.

The best source I've got so far is this: https://learngaelic.scot/dictionary/inde...word=false
I was using Windows on an old craptop and it was super laggy. Somehow I came across Linux and then Linux Mint. Installed linux mint and some lag went away. Then I came across Crunchbang (advertised as lightweight). Tried it and loved it. Then Crunchbang project died and changed to Bunsen labs. Bunsen labs was still good but I've realized I wanted to have full control of what gets installed to ensure I'm as "light" as reasonably achievable.

Then saw the you can install base Debian with no desktop environment (use window managers instead). Found an openbox guide for Debian 9. Ever since then, I've stayed with Debian.
Incorrect
Inaccurate
(04-09-2024, 04:39 PM)Vega Wrote: I was using Windows on an old craptop and it was super laggy. Somehow I came across Linux and then Linux Mint. Installed linux mint and some lag went away. Then I came across Crunchbang (advertised as lightweight). Tried it and loved it. Then Crunchbang project died and changed to Bunsen labs. Bunsen labs was still good but I've realized I wanted to have full control of what gets installed to ensure I'm as "light" as reasonably achievable.

Then saw the you can install base Debian with no desktop environment (use window managers instead). Found an openbox guide for Debian 9. Ever since then, I've stayed with Debian.

Cool, I went through a similar pipeline, except I ended up with Arch (because a friend of mine convinced me to try it)
My username is in Scottish Gaelic. If you speak that language, please tell me how to pronounce it properly.

The best source I've got so far is this: https://learngaelic.scot/dictionary/inde...word=false
There's been times where I've contemplated going to Arch, but Debian simply works (so far). If Debian ever "dies" or "stops working" for me in general, Arch would be my first choice.

Glad to see a fellow Linux User.

Have you tried any BSD/Unix Operating Systems?
I have not

A few months ago a few friends and I were working on a video editing project, mainly with kdenlive. The Windows user, the other Arch user and I could all work on the same project, while the Debian user could not because the version of kdenlive that Debian gave him was too old

As far as I understand the main selling point of Debian over Arch is that it's more stable and it breaks less often, but in return you'll have very old versions of your packages which ends up in situations like that. I'd personally rather have the occasional bs that Arch throws at me

Linux is evil
Was your friend on Debian 12? If so, you can opt to try the later unofficial version (Debian 13). But then you lose some of that stability so kind of defeats the purpose.

If you ever dive into the realm of BSD OS's, I recommend checking out OpenBSD. As an obvious fyi, you can't use the BSD OS's for daily-driver purposes. Hardware requirements are too specific (old ofc) and certain software packages are not up to date.

If you are in need of an OS for local sensitive hard drive storage (encryption and security is top priority), then OpenBSD w/ the full encryption install is perfect.