LE-CODE Debugging
(12-29-2019, 04:09 PM)Leseratte10 Wrote: Hi everyone, 

someone just told me about this thread and I wanted to leave a note about that before people start using that for actual custom distributions and run into trouble.

While the information that JoshuaMK found out is absolutely correct (0x808DD478 is the start address of the NTSC-U LE-CODE), there is a caveat when you use this additional space. The memory block that the LE-CODE is loaded into, starting at 0x808DD478, is not only used by the LE-CODE, but various locations of that space are also used for the Wiimmfi update (the run-time code that gets downloaded and executed every time you connect to Wiimmfi), which we are using to update the game and keep it secure and add more Wiimmfi features. 

That means, while you can safely use this method for offline testing, and while it appears to work reliably, any change Wiimm and me do to the update code on Wiimmfi can potentially make the game start using the space it believes is unused (even if you do change the file header!), which would either corrupt your custom code as soon as you go online, or would break the Wiimmfi update code, resulting in you being unable to connect to Wiimmfi. 

While this does work properly with the current version of Wiimmfi and the LE-CODE, we can give absolutely no guarantee that distributions patched with this hack will continue to be able to connect to Wiimmfi in the future, and thus I'd like to discourage distribution creators from using this hack if you want to have your distribution work reliably on Wiimmfi in the future, because it WILL break at some point when the game tries to use memory space that should be free to use.

Well, how much space does wiimmfi use out of this free space? And where exactly within the buffer? Because I would gladly mod this hack to simply relocate the memory
Super Mario Eclipse, what Super Mario Sunshine could've been.

Messages In This Thread
LE-CODE Debugging - by JoshuaMK - 12-02-2019, 07:52 AM
RE: LE-CODE Debugging - by FancyWheelies - 12-05-2019, 02:00 AM
RE: LE-CODE Debugging - by Leseratte10 - 12-29-2019, 04:09 PM
RE: LE-CODE Debugging - by JoshuaMK - 12-29-2019, 06:43 PM
RE: LE-CODE Debugging - by Leseratte10 - 12-29-2019, 08:31 PM
RE: LE-CODE Debugging - by einfach_nur_ich - 07-30-2020, 08:39 PM
RE: LE-CODE Debugging - by Leseratte10 - 08-01-2020, 08:10 PM
RE: LE-CODE Debugging - by einfach_nur_ich - 08-03-2020, 05:35 AM