Can I post a remade version of a code that already exists?
I’ve recently been working on a code that allows the player to end a race early by pressing a button activator. I’m aware that JoshuaMK made a code that does exactly this, however, the version I’m working on preserves all racer positions when the activator is pressed (as opposed to the existing code that has a habit of forcing the player into first place automatically). It’s also worth noting that my code isn’t a modification of the current one, it works as an ASM insert over a completely different instruction.

Once I’ve finished testing, would it be allowed for me to post this as a new code? I’ve read the rules for posting codes, but I’m looking for further clarity on this. I would be happy to credit JoshuaMK as a contributor, as I did in fact use an address from his code to help me find the function required by my version.

Thanks
Good question, the rules are basically meant to be guidelines. Sometimes there will be gray areas regardless of how many rules I try to implement. To any responsible code creator, he/she will know whether or not they are crediting correctly. I guess you can call this a 'gut feeling'.

Some examples I have done myself:
--
1. Recently I added the feature of using the L/R buttons to Mdmwii's old GCN rapid fire. It was easy for myself to see that I didn't create a new code per say but added a very wanted feature to the original, so I updated Mdmwiis code with the new mods and new extra ASM then simply put myself in the credits. Could I have put this as a new code, or myself as a code co-creator? Ye maybe, but to my gut feeling, that didn't feel like the right thing to do.

2. When Star made his Anti Trailed Item Spy, his was ASM. I decided I would attempt to make own and try for a RAM write. I did my own searching in memory for trailed item values, did my own BPs in dynamic memory, found a new hook address, and made a 32 bit RAM Write version of Anti Trailed Item Spy. This would be a new code solely made by me.

3. Xer made GOD code. I debugged his code and saw how he manipulated item probability values. Thus I used this knowledge (and his hook address) to make a few of my own Item Prob based codes (ex: Selective Max Item Probability). Thus he was added to the credits of these new codes.
--

Your situation can go many ways, really just depends. Since you are using JoshuaMK's address, you are right, you have to credit him. You noted you did NOT use his current code to mod, so I would say this would be ok for you to post a new code with JoshuaMK in the credits.

A much better option would be for you to get in contact with JoshuaMK. But ye in conclusion, based on what you are telling me, it is a new code you made but JoshuaMK needs to be in the credits for the Hook Address.
My code doesn’t hook onto an address from Joshua’s code. What I meant was that in order to find the function used by my code, I had to BP some of the addresses in his code to see how his version worked. I’m not using any of his addresses in the code itself, however I still feel that he should get credit, since without his code, it would’ve been harder to make my one.
Ahh ok, sorry for my misunderstanding. Yes I agree, he should get credits.
Cool. Thank you for clearing that up.
I'm interested.