PowerPC - Quantized Floating Point Instructions
This is a bit of an odd question but I thought I'd ask it here.
I'm asking this way in advance.

I'm currently in the process of writing my PowerPC For Dummies guide.
I eventually wanted to add the "psq" instruction types to the guide.
Is anyone familiar with them? Specifically the following instructions:
Code:
psq_l
psq_st
psq_lu
psq_stu
psq_lx
psq_stx
psq_stux
psq_lux
ps_abs
ps_nabs
ps_merge00
ps_merge01
ps_merge10
ps_merge11
ps_cmpo0
ps_cmpo1
ps_cmpu0
ps_cmpu1
ps_muls0
ps_muls1
ps_msub
ps_res
ps_rsqrte
ps_sel

The only mention of them that isn't from a dolphin/cemu update page I've been able to find online is this page.
But even on that page the explanations given are extremely ~removed~ (unclear)

If anyone is familiar with how any of these work, would you mind explaining the basic function of it? I would love to add it all into the guide!
That smash board thread is very detailed but its tailored more towards seasoned coders.

It's important to have a complete understanding of the fundamentals of basic floating instructions and the fpr's before diving into paired singles

https://mkwii.com/showthread.php?tid=1744

After you have read that thread, the WiiBrew article (and the Smash thread) on paired singles will make more sense. Just boot a game up, pause the emulation, compile some mock paired single instructions to mess around with, and execute them (stepping) to see how they effect memory and what not.
(06-25-2021, 12:14 AM)Vega Wrote: That smash board thread is very detailed but its tailored more towards seasoned coders.

It's important to have a complete understanding of the fundamentals of basic floating instructions and the fpr's before diving into paired singles

https://mkwii.com/showthread.php?tid=1744

After you have read that thread, the WiiBrew article (and the Smash thread) on paired singles will make more sense. Just boot a game up, pause the emulation, compile some mock paired single instructions to mess around with, and execute them (stepping) to see how they effect memory and what not.

Thanks! I'll be sure to look into that.
You're welcome!